Hempstead Harbor Anglers Club
Fishing Rules and Regulations
1. Unless otherwise stated all tournaments start at 6:00
AM and end at 4:30 PM on the day designated in the Tournament
2. If a regular tournament ends with no winner, the
contest will automatically be extended for two more weeks. This
provision only applies to regular tournaments. The Sea Robbin
rodeo is excluded. If at the end of the two week extension there
is still no winner, the contest will be over. The only exception
to this rule is when a two week extension overlaps a closed
season for that species.
3. Duffy’s Bait and Tackle located at 58 Shore Rd. in
Glenwood Landing is the only official weigh station for all HHAC
regular tournaments. The HHAC will only recognize fish weighed
in, documented and verified in the HHAC official log book at
Duffy’s. The only exceptions to this rule are the (WICC, Billy
Blind, and Oyster Bay) Bluefish Tournaments. It is the
responsibility to make sure that the catch is entered in the
3A. All fish must be entered in the official log book by 4 pm
on the last day of any given tournament. Any fish not entered in
the book by that time will not be eligible for that tournament,
but will be eligible for the fish of the year.
4. In the event Duffy’s is closed during the remainder of
the set time limits of tournament and a fish cannot be weighed
in, the member should make every effort to contact the
Tournament Committee or a Club Officer immediately and before
the end of the tournament. The fish should be preserved in a
manner that is keeping with the rules (i.e. iced down and not
frozen) and eventually weighed in at Duffy’s. In the event that
this is not possible, the Tournament Committee in conjunction
with the Board of Directors approval may make provisions for
temporary alternate weigh station. All Tournament Committee
decisions regarding fish eligibility are final.
5. Fish determined by the Weigh Master or Tournament
Committee to be altered in any way (cut, frozen, salted,
weighted etc.) will be automatically disqualified.
6. Unless otherwise stated, The Western fishing boundary
is the Throgg’s Neck Bridge and the Eastern fishing boundary is
a line running from Cranes Neck on Long Island to Sheffield
Island off Connecticut.
7. All fish must be caught on rod and reel.
8. If tournament participant breaks any rules or laws, the
Tournament Committee will review alleged offences and make
recommendations to Board of Directors to take appropriate
9. Fish of the Year will be determined by the heaviest
fish weighed in within the DEC official fishing season and the
last date of the last tournament, for that year for each species
recognized by the HHAC.
10. The heaviest fish officially weighed in will determine the
winner of that tournament (see rules 3 & 4 ). If 2 fish are
equal weight there will be a tie for that place. The only
exception to this rule is the Sea Robin Rodeo. In this
tournament the wingspan of the Sea Robin will determine the
11. II. While there is no limit to the number of fish an
angler may enter for a given tournament, only the largest fish
entered by the angler is eligible for each tournament. This
means an angler can only have one placing (1st, 2nd,
or 3rd) at any given time in a tournament.
12. Unless otherwise specified the HHAC will only recognize
fish with the following minimum sizes:
Striped Bass 36”
Sea Bass and porgy to coincide with the D.E.C.
13. Any fish entered in a tournament must be taken in
accordance with all NYS DEC regulations.
14. The Tournament Committee reserves the right to be the
judge on all matters relating to HHAC Tournaments. Any situation
that cannot be resolved at this level will be referred to the
Board of Directors for final resolution.
15. The junior division (up to age- 16) may enter any legal
sized fish as determined by the DEC into a HHAC Tournament.
16. The tournament schedule will be published on the club
website in printable form after all state regulations are